C++, A multi-purpose structured programming language invented by “Bjarne Stroustrup,” is widely used worldwide. There is no doubt that even after being an old language, it is one of the most efficient programming languages. We must also evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of C++ to fully grasp the core concept, the need for programming, and whether it’s truly a complex language.
As C++ is a general-purpose language. It is used for many different purposes. It is easy to read, write and understand. It is very powerful and efficient. There are several advantages of learning C++.
C++ is one of the simpler and general-purpose programming languages. C++ is unlike low-level language, which tends to make programming difficult. You can easily learn this language because there are not too many syntax rules. You don’t have to be familiar with any other programming language before learning C++.
It is also one of the Stable languages in the market, providing support to the industry-leading versions of C++, i.e., C++11 and C++14, for now, and constantly updating the new versions,i.e., C++20 and C++22, therefore growing and helping the industry to grow as well. These are the stable versions of C++, making it easier to learn, make changes, and furtherly develop existing code.
Faster & Portable
Being a compiler-based language, C++ is faster than many programming languages. It allows the developers to create different programs, allowing the use of C++ in embedded systems and platform-specific applications, including complicated GUIs.
The compilation and execution are amazingly faster in C++, allowing it to build powerful game engines, heavy programs, and enormous operating systems. That’s why most games are also built and compiled using C++. Hence its speed provides game developers a major advantage over other programming languages.
Portability means carryings the instruction from one system to another system. In C++ Language .cpp (Extension of the c++ file) file contain source code, we can also edit this code. The “.exe” file will become an application, and we can only execute this file.
When we write and compile any C++ program on the Windows operating system, it allows the program to run on other window-based systems easily. Similarly, suppose C++ generates the executable file on the compilation of Linux-based systems like macOS and Ubuntu. In that case, the file can be efficiently executed, run, and shared within other Linux-based systems.
Excellent Memory Management
C++ allows for Dynamic Memory Allocation (DMA) makes it easy to free and allocate memory to other variables. It also lets you deallocate blocks of memory whenever required. The programmer has complete control over memory management because there is no garbage collection.
This feature helps programmers to avoid memory leaks. This is especially useful when dealing with large data structures or objects. That is why C++ is used in embedded systems as
C++ in embedded systems prevents data leaks and keeps the data secure.
C++ is a multi-paradigm programming language as the paradigm is all ab one planning and organizing. One of the main features besides classes and objects is the Object-Oriented Programming System (OOPs), often referred Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). OOPs, introduce advanced concepts like Encapsulation, Inheritance, Polymorphism, and Abstraction to increase the efficiency of a C++ code and hence are super-duper important.
Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) uses classes and inheritance to define types of objects. In OOP, classes are objects that contain data and functions. Inheritance is used to create subclasses of a superclass. Subclasses inherit the characteristics of their superclass, whereas Polymorphism is used to allow multiple interfaces to exist within one type.
Incredible community support
C++ is a world-famous language. It has a vast community of professional developers who support the new programmers in enhancing their skills. GitHub, Stackoverflow, and even GeekonPeak’s Community (Coming Soon!) are some live examples of some strong communities for free. People want to help developers grow as they sense the future with C++, and the developers together can take the programming to a whole new level, as everyone believes that programming has just begun.
Developers and people are also promoting the C++ language as it’s the future of computing and technology. They’re also teaching it to the new gen from scratch to Advanced using Online Courses and Online Blogs, Like GeekonPeak, and workshops. C++ is a high-level language, meaning it is all about learning, making errors, advancing functional programming, and replacing low-level programming languages.
“Every coin has two sides” – You must’ve heard this phrase again and again when people are comparing the advantages and disadvantages. We wouldn’t be using it because it happens in an unbiased coin. What if I tell you that C++ is a biased coin, it always has an 80% chance of getting heads (Advantages) and 20% chance of getting tails (Disadvantages), unlike that boring 50-50 coin. Now things are getting interesting with C++ as an 80-20 biased coin, aren’t they? Let’s dive into this “20 factor” of C++ and check what’s bothering the language.
Lack of Garbage Collector
The garbage collector is an important component of any programming language. Without it, you cannot free up resources or delete objects. It increases the workload and control over the programmer and even causes the chances of memory leaks as mismanagement increases. Another major problem is the lack of enough memory, as lack of memory will make programs crash. Therefore, managing programs in the absence of garbage collector makes it a very difficult and crucial task, especially in the cases of platform-dependent apps.
C++ is a multiparadigm language that supports both object-oriented programming and functional programming. This makes it very versatile and powerful. However, it can also be quite complex. There are many different ways to write programs in C++ and even more ways to write good software.
Using pointers in C and C++ is also not that easy. It also confuses the programmer and needs lots of memory to use it. C++ is a vast language, and extensive code takes lots of time to debug, creating lots of code complexity.
C++ is an OOPs language, and Object-orientated programming languages have several security issues, which means that programs written in C++ aren’t as safe as others because they use pointers, friend functions, global variables, etc., which are unsafe as per the security aspects of the C++.
They’re used everywhere in our programs, and sometimes you don’t even realize how much damage they do. Using the pointer, friend functions, global variables, etc., can put the program’s security at stake as it offers access to anything in the code, another significant disadvantage of C++.
You’ve successfully initiated an essential step in programming, i.e., commitment. Congratulations!, Now, make sure you follow one more important step. You shall join our VIP Newsletters to stay updated with the latest programming tips, get things done fast, and get some exclusive GeekonPeak’s hit; you got it.